Your Practical Corporate Governance Handbook
What are you looking for from a corporate governance course? If the answer is a practical guide containing the essential principles of corporate governance and how to implement them – at an affordable price – then this is the course for you.
Answer the What, Why and How of Corporate Governance!
At Applied Corporate Governance, we take a different approach to the subject, bringing it away from a specialist, predominantly accounting background into the mainstream of good management with a holistic view of the organisation and its stakeholders.
While based on sound, conventional management theory and practice, we lift it from an academic, desk-based environment, focussed on risk management, auditing and box-ticking, to a positive and practical exercise in enhancing every aspect of the organisation.
Our 6-day corporate governance course contains a wealth of information on the essential issues and implementation guidance in a series of ebooks delivered directly to your email inbox every day in convenient PDF format*.
Learn the essentials of good governance with our 5 Golden Rules of Corporate Governance!
The Best Corporate Governance Practice section of our website sets out our Golden Rules of Corporate Governance. In the course you will explore them in more detail and learn how to:
- check your organisation against the golden rules
- implement a corporate governance improvement programme
- monitor your performance
- communicate better with your stakeholders
Adhering to these rules using our methodology will make compliance with the various international governance codes much easier.
The complete collection of ebooks in the corporate governance course form a handbook we call the Applied Corporate Governance Board eManual.
In this eManual we:
- define Applied Corporate Governance and the holistic approach
- instruct existing and future board members in how to establish a system of good corporate governance:
- strategic management process
- agreeing goals
- strategic plans
- monitoring role
- reporting back to stakeholders
- equip you with the skills and tools to build an open, ethical organisation in touch with the needs of all its stakeholders
The manual, and the methodology described in it, is designed to give you education and training in commercial board best practice and requirements. Highly results-oriented, our methodology is based on a holistic approach to corporate governance which places the issue at the heart of good management and takes into account all the organisation’s stakeholders. It draws on the training programme carried out with a large client and our book Real World Corporate Governance, originally published by FT Pitman and brought up to date in this Applied Corporate Governance website by subsequent experience.
While primarily aimed at present and future board members of commercial organisations, the principles and practice contained in this corporate governance course are directly relevant to anyone wishing to further their understanding of corporate governance, whether studying an MBA or governance-focussed course, working for a charity, development agency or other NGO or government department.
We freely answer all questions sent to us from all over the world via our contact form from students, micro-finance and similar organisations as well as businesses so please feel free to get in touch with any queries, academic or practical you may have!
We firmly believe that implementing our methodology is a far more effective guarantee of success than box-ticking exercises to comply with codes of conduct. While we of course recognise the need for such codes – and indeed our approach will naturally aid compliance – they have proven ineffective in preventing failure, treating the symptoms not the cause of poor governance. In this corporate governance course we tackle the root causes, from personal ethics to corporate culture.
What you’ll learn in this exclusive corporate governance course:
Introduction to corporate governance and the ACG Methodology
- What is corporate governance?
- Corporate Cultures and Vision
- Principles of good corporate governance
- 5 Five Golden Rules
- Good corporate governance is good management
- Corporate governance and the strategic management process
- The whole picture – the Golden Rules in context
- Conclusion: profit-enhancing stewardship
Diagnosing, Monitoring and Improving Business Ethics
- Explain the importance of ethics in business
- Help you diagnose the ethical stance of your organisation
- Give you the tools to monitor and improve ethics and therefore governance
Goal-Setting and Corporate Governance
- Classify goals and objectives by nature and timescale
- Ensure you set realistic goals with maximum stakeholder support
- Help you define your vision and mission
- Show you the path to achieve your goals
Implementing corporate governance as an integral part of the strategy process
- ensure full understanding of the strategic planning process by actual or potential board members
- equip such individuals for full participation in the next strategic planning exercise
- ensure each person has a clear role in this process and is aware of and committed to it
Organisational Effectiveness: Culture, Accountability and Leadership
Objectives: ensure that there is an organisation in place which:
- adheres to the Golden Rules of corporate governance
- reflects the stakeholding groups
- protects the interests of the stakeholders
- ensures efficiency and effectiveness in delivering business goals
Building a communication system for reporting and transparency
Objectives: help you create reporting systems which:
- ensure all stakeholders are happy with the proposed strategy
- monitor progress from Point A to Point B in the strategy
- ensure that stakeholders are receiving all the information they require
Day 4 is the big one: the core of our methodology is the strategic management process, which we adapt to include corporate governance. This has two major benefits – it uses existing systems (the course will outline how to improve them or create new ones where necessary), which in turn means it is not a separate exercise but a fundamental part of how the organisation is run.
For this reason, the fourth volume in the corporate governance course manual is much bigger than the rest, so will require the most time to study – and, of course, implement. It represents decades of experience advising and training organisationsof all sizes.
You’ll also receive these
2 additional resources:
8 Page Glossary of Terms
Eight pages of strategic and financial management definitions to help you understand the more technical aspects of corporate governance. A useful resource not just for corporate governance but for understanding wider business and finance terminology.
Editable Goal Discussion Meeting Agenda
Having clear goals is such an essential part of corporate governance that it forms one of our Golden Rules. On Day 3 of the course we present a model for a goal discussion meeting. We include a freely editable version of this agenda in OpenOffice and MS Word format for you to use and adapt to your organisation and needs.
Learn how to implement corporate governance in your organisation
…for only £50
This represents the best value corporate governance course anywhere on the internet. Based on many years experience in training, consultancy and authoring, it will give you the tools to make a difference not just to your organisation, not just your stakeholders but, potentially, your country and the wider world.
Why not join ACG as a Training Member and get permanent access to this eManual, plus get our popular Enron Case Study FREE, as well as all future ebook extended case studies?
Such is our passion for making a difference we are pricing it at a level which most organisations and indeed individuals can afford.
Thank you for your interest in taking your understanding of corporate governance to the next level. Together we can make a difference. Please let us know if there are any further ways we can help you!
We freely answer all questions sent to us from all over the world via our contact from students, micro-finance and similar organisations as well as businesses so please feel free to get in touch with any queries, academic or practical, you may have!
Learn how to implement corporate governance in your organisation
…for only £50
Order now(order as a guest)
Still not sure? Why not take a look at our FREE ebook – Introduction to Corporate Governance and the ACG Methodology.
Register with ACG to receive your copy! You’ll also be kept up-to-date with the latest content, news and survey results.